Saturday, July 7, 2007

Tutorial 3

So I love the trading cards! They could be used with any subject, to present information in an interesting way (both by the student and the teacher), to test a skillset, to create a book (in a very cool format)...so many things! I can imagine how much the students would love to be using a feature like this. Taking the photos could be the first component of a project (on a specific theme) and then compiling them with information added on the cards to complete. Love it!
I didn't like the Mappr site as a user exploring but for social studies I can see the merits. Good way to associate geography with artifacts etc.
I thought the flickr colour pickr was cool but with any kind of photo popping up I'd be worried about inappropriate footage appearing. Regardless of the search parameters set in the potential for someone tagging a photo with anything they want is there.
So...after some exploring I would definitely use the trading card feature as a fun teaching tool/project with students.

1 comment:

Eclectech Educator said...

I enjoy using Mappr, a Flickr mash-up tool, as it allows students to use photographs to explore geography and culture.

In the fall, my library will feature a Hollywood Theme. I am using Flagrant Disregard's Flickr Toys to create movie posters of books and the "Trading Card Maker" could be used as writing prompts.

FD's Flickr Toys provide many learning opportunities to represent knowledge. Other thinks to try at your library include Magazine Cover, Movie Poster, Slideshow or Motivator.
Visit http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/

Carlene